RSS Feed

Inquiry Term 1

14

Identity – Who Am I? 

and

My Asia Pacific Neighbours

This term students in 5EZ are building their intercultural understanding. This is an essential part of living with others in the diverse world of the twenty-first century. It assists young people to become responsible local and global citizens, equipped through their education for living and working together in an interconnected world.

Intercultural understanding combines personal, interpersonal and social knowledge and skills. It involves students in learning to value and view critically their own cultural perspectives and practices and those of others through their interactions with people, texts and contexts across the curriculum.

We have been working on a variety of tasks such as discussing and sharing our own heritage and exploring the cultures of others. We have a few exciting things coming up towards the end of the term. For example, our story telling morning on the 25th of March and looking into life in Papua New Guinea.

We plan to share photos and work samples on this page soon, so please come back and visit soon.

Happy reading,

5EZ

5EZ and 5KB Skyping with PNG

Tabubil

Wednesday 2nd April

Today we were very lucky to Skype with 6 students from an international school in Papua New Guinea. The children were very excited before and after. We hope to continue this and build our communication and relationship with this school.
We found out a lot of information about their lives at school and  their community. Some facts are;
  • school starts at 8:15 and finishes 2:15
  • they play many sports such as netball, cricket, softball and rugby league
  • they eat many different things such as vegetables, some meat and they love  Australian meat pies
  • they have about 25 students in each class and about 230 students at their school
  • the students there are unable to go out on excursions because Tabubil is surrounded by mountains and rainforest. There is only one road, one end goes to the mine and the other the port on the river. You can only fly or boat in and out.
  • Tabubil is in the west of PNG. The town is very far away from the capital city Port Moresby.
  • The main animals found in their area are snakes and insects.
  • It rains a lot there and they have an average of 8 metres of rain per year.

Week 9 and 10 Task

Learning Intention: continue to develop our knowledge and understanding of life in Papua New Guinea

Read the recount of A day in the life of Damian an 11-year-old boy from Papua New Guinea.

In your inquiry books draw up two columns and list the similarities and differences between Damian’s life and your own.

Write a comment below and answer this…if you lived with Damian for a short time, which aspect of your life in Australia would you miss the most?

Can you rank the things you would miss from most important to least important?

Happy blogging!

14 comments »

1. CQ says:

If I were to go to PNG, what I would miss the most is ALL the electricity that’s available in Australia than Papua New Guinea.

2. MH says:

1.Natiomal motto:Unity in Diversity.
    2.The total population:6,300,000 people.
    3.Land area:462,840 square kilometers.
    4.Water rate:2%.
    5.Road traffic direction:Drive on theleft.
    6.Papua New Guinea,a total of 22 provinces.
    7.Foumding Date:September 16,1975
    8.Head of state:Elizabeth.
    9.Capital: port Moresby.

3. C.P. says:

I would mostly miss my bed because it is so comfortable and I love sleeping in it.That is why I would miss my bed.

4. LR says:

If I were able to go to PNG, I would miss the electricity and not being able to do my homework at night. That’s what I would miss the most.

5. N.D says:

I feel so sorry for Damien, and realise that when we argue to our parents about the dinner we are eating and that we don’t like it, people in another country hardly get food at all!We should be thankful that we have electricity and fresh food.:)

6. JT says:

Dear fellow readers,
    I read Damian’s story and it was very interesting. I would miss the electricity because then I would have to do homework early, televisions and computers in school.
    Thanks!
    JT 🙂

• TK says:

Hey JT,
      I don’t know what I would do without electricity! Imagine having no television or computers!
      I read Damian’s story too, it was very different to my life.
      Have a good holiday!
      TK

7. T.D says:

Dear World,
    Recently I read Damian’s story. I felt really sorry for him because he didn’t have many things but most of all he has no electricity. If I lived in Papua New Guinea I would miss electicity the most because I normally read and do my homework at night.

From T.D 🙂

8. VG says:

Dear bloggers,

The thing I will miss the most is the electricity. I will always need to do my homework at daylight or light candles at night.

Thanks for reading,
    VG

9. TK says:

Dear global citizens!
    This term at school for inquire our topic is ‘Identity’. We have been working on our culture and religion and we are learning about life in Papua New Guinea. On Wednesday 2nd of April we Skyped with students from PNG. I was 1 of 5 people to be chosen for the panel to ask questions. I enjoy Inquire because I love to share about my identity and learn about other people’s identity!
    TK

10. HG says:

School Holidays
    On the school holidays I went to Luna Park with my friend, Michael and we got annual passes to Luna. We went on most of the rides and got show bags, my friend got Pokémon and I got Warheads (very sour lollies.)
    Also I had a sleepover at my friend Keegan’s but fist I had to go to Keegan’s in-laws and we had lots of meat because they were Greek. When we got back we went straight to bed but secretly played the iPad.